Ever crave a sweet treat? Of course you have! Before you reach for something unhealthy, make this instead. Coconut is a essential healthy fat (will help boost HDL- the good cholesterol), B-complex vitamins and zinc- to name a few nutrients. Raw cacao contains high levels of antioxidants, magnesium, iron and calcium and other essential vitamins and minerals. Ginger is a fantastic anti-inflammatory and cinnamon helps control blood sugar, anti-clotting, boosts brain function, contains fiber, calcium.
- 1 can Native Forest Organic Classic (full fat) Coconut Milk (note: must be full fat, not light)
- 3 tablespoons organic raw cacao powder (not to be confused with cocoa powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons 100% pure organic maple syrup (note: must be 100% pure maple syrup) ^can also use local, raw, unfiltered honey
- Place can in fridge and chill for at least 24 hours*
- While it's chilling the cream and coconut "whey" will naturally separate. Remove can from fridge and open with can opener.
- For heavy cream, spoon out cream leaving the coconut "whey" in the bottom of can. Reserve coconut "whey" for smoothies or baking. For regular cream pour the entire can of coconut cream and coconut "whey" into a medium size glass mixing bowl.
- Whip with hand whisk or hand mixer.
- In a small glass bowl combine cacao powder and spoon in a few tablespoons of coconut cream. Add maple syrup. Mix well together with whisk. Once mixed well add to the medium mixing bowl and combine together well. Add ginger and cinnamon. Stir well.
- Pour into a glass mason jar and refrigerate.
*I try to keep a can in the fridge at all times.
Serve with fresh organic fruit and a sprig of fresh organic mint! Cheers!
Cover photo credit: Chandrika Nair