Birthday cake! Who doesn't enjoy a nice, moist slice of birthday cake? I know I do! But not just any birthday cake. It must be made-from-scratch with real and organic ingredients. Real food doesn't come from a box and neither should a birthday cake. There are many birthday cake box mixes that are filled with artificial ingredients that are linked to diseases like cancer, obesity, heart disease, ADD/ADHD and a host of other health problems.
Making a made-from-scratch birthday cake is super easy and it tastes incredible! Say goodbye to the box and hello to fresh ingredients!
**Note: because I know many people won't make a plant-based cake, this recipe includes organic, pastured eggs. I'd rather someone bake a made-from-scratch cake with real ingredients than use a box mix so this recipe is a basic recipe that can be modified to suit your needs (gluten free, dairy free, egg free). See the note section below for these substitutions. Cheers!
- 2 cups organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon Rumford baking powder (imperative to use a non-aluminum baking powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- dash of organic cinnamon
- A few grates of freshly grated nutmeg (or a dash of organic nutmeg)
- 1/2 cup raw organic cacao powder (don't want a chocolate cake? Omit raw cacao and add an extra 1/2 cup flour to make a vanilla cake)
- 1 cup of made-from-scratch nut milk with 1 tablespoon of Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar (important note: do not use commercial vinegar)
- 1 stick of Kerrygold butter, softened
- 2 organic, pastured eggs
- 1/2 cup raw honey (or 1 cup organic sugar)
- Preheat oven to 375*
- In a large glass bowl combine all the dry ingredients and mix together with whisk.
- In a medium glass bowl mix the butter until creamy, add eggs, honey. Combine well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and add milk slowly while mixing together.
- Pour into 2 (coconut oil greased) 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake at 375* for about 25 minutes or until toothpick pricked in the middle comes out dry.
- Remove from oven and let cool on wire racks upside down in pan.
You have a few options for made-from-scratch frosting. But never from a container!
1) Organic Fresh Whipped Cream
This is super easy and quite yummy. Simply beat 2 cups heavy organic (super imperative that it is organic) fresh cream. Add 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup and 1 teaspoon pure vanilla. Spread the cream between the layers and frost the sides and top of cake.
If you desire chocolate frosting simply mix a little raw cacao powder with a touch of cream and mix well together till all lumps are gone and the chocolate is super smooth. Add a few scoops of cream depending on if you want only a chocolate filling or only chocolate on the outside- options are endless!
2) Organic Chocolate Frosting
Over very low heat melt together and stir well. Add 2 teaspoons pure vanilla. Place in fridge and let cool. Remove from fridge and beat with a hand mixer until fluffy.
TWO ADDITIONAL FROSTING IDEAS:
3) Organic Cream Cheese Frosting
4) Organic Seven Minute Frosting
Additional cake filling options:
- Use fresh jam (from farmer's market!) for the filling as well and cover with frosting
- Sprinkle with natural, non-toxic sprinkles (great for kids birthday cakes)
- Fresh organic fruit