Its no surprise that I am in love. With my bike that is. I love riding and hope to pass on that love with everyone I meet! Since May is National Bike Month, here are a few facts that I thought you might find interesting. Thanks to the Colorado Trek Store and People For Bikes for sharing them with me!
- If you bike four miles round trip each day instead of driving, you will save about 66 gallons of fuel per year.
- The U.S could save 462 million gallons of gasoline a year by increasing cycling from one percent to 1.5 percent of all trips.
- If you bike four miles each day instead of driving, you will burn 36,000 calories in a year the equivalent of over 10 pounds of fat.
- 50 percent of trips Americans make are less than three miles.
- $8,000.00 spent on average owning and operating a car.
- Three hours of riding per week reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke by 50 percent.
- $10.00 saved each day by commuting 10 miles round trip by bicycle instead of car.
Will you fall in love - with a bike?
Photo is of Sarah Stanley on the start of her ride from Washington D.C to New York City for Celebration Ride.