Did you know that February is National Heart Health month (America)? If you did, congratulations and if you didn't, well now you know! Did you also know that heart disease is the number one killer of women according to the American Heart Association? More women die of heart disease than cancer! And both of these diseases can be prevented through the food we eat/drink (or don't eat/drink) and exercise.
Here are 10 ways to have a healthy heart - if you are a woman or a guy.
1) Sweat! Get out of bed and do something active! Run, swim, walk, yoga, Pilates, lift weights, CrossFit, Kickboxing. Something that will leave you feeling alive and ready to have a fantastic day!
2) H2O! Make sure your glass or water bottle is always handy. Drink water all day long. The benefits of hydration are huge. Clearer skin, less fatigue, naturally moisturizes, detoxes ... go drink up!
3) Eat Earth Based Foods! This is such an important one. Limit or avoid processed junk (I refuse to call it food) all together. Buy as fresh as possible (farmer's markets are a great option). The less chemicals, food dyes, preservatives and nitrates the better. Straight from the earth (soil, trees, water) are the best option.
4) Be Happy! This may sound like a pie-in-the-sky thing, but it's not. Being happy is good - no GREAT - for your heart. Your perspective can make or break you. Choose - decide to be happy!
5) Forgive! This might be the hardest thing out of the list to do. It can be easier to be angry, bitter, hurt or mean. It takes daily work to forgive those who have wronged us. And sometimes we have to forgive ourselves too.
6) Slow down! Life isn't about how fast you cross the finish line, it's about who you help along the way. Help someone.
7) Breathe! Take a chill pill! Smell the roses around you. Take a nap.
Go live with a healthy heart!
peace, sweat, love: life
photo credit: quilting2009