Food Fact Friday!
Many people are still under the impression that Truvia is Stevia or worse yet, a 'health food'. This couldn't be farther from the truth!
Today in Food Fact Friday you'll learn two truths about popular sugar substitutes.
First up is Truvia.
Let me shout it from the roof tops: Truvia is NOT a health food!
- manufactured by Cargill Chemical Company
- not Stevia
- contains Erythritol (a sugar alcohol) which leads to a host of different health problems and contributes to disease
- Truvia Baking Blend is: Erythritol, Sugar (GMO sugar beets), Stevia Leaf Extract
- highly processed (Stevia is a green leaf...how does it turn into a white powder?!)
- if you have this product in your home, toss it out ASAP
The second one is Agave.
Also a popular 'health' food but it is not.
- highly processed (again, how does a green plant turn into syrup?)
- higher in fructose than HFCS (!!!)
- because it is so high in fructose it leads to many health problems including diabetes
I don't recommend agave as a sugar substitute.
The only sweeteners I recommend (and use myself) are 100% pure maple syrup (none of the fake syrup crap please!), organic coconut sugar, raw (local preferably) honey. Organic applesauce, organic dates, and organic fruits are also great ways to sweeten baked goods. Or if you're on a run, bike ride, physically active. Basic rule of thumb: if God made it and man didn't tamper with it, it's good for you.
This should go without saying, but please don't use white sugar (GMO sugar beets) or the blue/yellow/pink sugar packets. Splenda will destroy your health.
Does honey have fructose? Yes. But the amazing thing about raw honey (again, not to be confused with conventional, pasteurized, filtered honey) is that the fructose found in honey is metabolized differently by the body. God knows what our body needs! There are many health benefits to raw honey. [see resources below]
If you have Truvia in your kitchen, go throw it out right now. And then take a photo of it in your trashcan and share with me on any of my social networks!
A few brands that are Sarah Stanley Approved: